Sunday, October 12, 2008

Outside Reading 1

I am reading a book called Complications by Atul Gawande. One of the reasons I chose to read it was because I want to be a doctor when I grow up and it's all about medical things. Atul Gawande is a surgical resident at a hostpital in Boston and a staff writer on medicine and science.
The first sentence is awesome and already grabs my attention... as it says, "I was once on trauma duty when a young man about twenty years old was rolled in, shot in the buttock. His pulse, blood pressure, and breathing were all normal. A clinical assistant cut the clothes off him with heavy shears, and i looked him over from head to toe, trying to be systematic but quick about it. I found the entrance wound in his right cheek, a neat, red, half-inch hole. I could find no exit wound. no other injuires were evident."
Now this is only the introduction... and from what I have read so far, I cannot even put the book down. They took X-rays of this man, his pelvis, abdomen, and all of his chest but found no bullet anywhere (this was very odd). When they cut him open there wasn't any blood anymore and it seemed to be all fine. The doctors then sewed him up and a couple days later pulled up previous X-rays and found the bullet to be lodged in the upper right quadrant of his abdomen. There wasn't any explanation for this and they couldn't figure out how a half-inch-long lead bullet went from his buttock to his upper belly without injuring anything... He was in the hospital for the next week and the docs left everything alone.

No comments: